A few days ago I saw this amazing carrot muffin recipe and I decided I had to try it. These muffins taste incredibly good even though they have no sugar in them (just a little bit sprinkled on top)! They’re made with carrots and honey and you can easily eat 4 in a row (not that I did that…).
I used regular wholemeal flower as opposed to white wholemeal flower and honey as opposed to maple syrup so the muffins turned out a lot browner than the ones in Cookie & Kate. They still tasted really good though so whichever you try, you will love it! This recipe takes 15mins to prepare and about 30mins to cook.
- 1¾ cups of wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- About 3 carrots, grated (ideally they should fill 2 cups)
- ½ cup roughly chopped walnuts
- ½ cup raisins (this is the only thing I would remove but that’s because I’m not a huge fan of raisins)
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil (I used coconut oil)
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of fat free natural Greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of icing sugar, to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 160C (if you are using honey, bake them at this temperature too as they will brown quicker)
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and nutmeg. Blend with a whisk or wooden spoon
- Grate the carrots
- In a separate small bowl toss the raisins with 1 teaspoon of flour so they don’t stick together.
- Add the carrots, walnuts and raisins to the other ingredients and stir
- Melt the coconut oil (a few seconds in the microwave should do it)
- In another mixing bowl, add the melted coconut oil and the honey and whisk together. Add the eggs, the yoghurt and the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Pour the coconut oil mixture into the other mixture and mix with a big spoon.
- Grease the muffin cups if necessary (if non-stick then not needed)
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups and sprinkle the top of the muffins with icing sugar.
- Bake the muffins for about 30mins in low temperature
- Let the muffins cool for about 15mins and enjoy!
If you try it out comment below or tag me on Instagram and let me know how it turned out!